Jul 18, 2014

Blindness


Asiya is a schoolgirl.

She is also now blind.

An Israeli bomb

fired on Gaza

hit her schoolyard

and flying shrapnel

struck both her eyes.

But now unable to see,

she still has vision.

“I want my

Palestinian people

to be free,” Asiya says.

“I want us to be able

to live in our land

safe from bombs

and terror.

I want all peoples

to live in peace.

I do not hate the

Israelis personally,

but I hate

what the Israelis

have done to me,

what they have done

to my people.”

Far away from

 Asiya’s school,

Israeli generals

pore over maps,

view aerial photographs,

study charts

and logistics lists;

they look at the

photos of the

demolished buildings

and the piles of corpses,

but do not see

what were once

living human beings

who reared children,

cared for neighbors,

tried to scrounge

enough to eat.

All these generals have

perfect sight;

they see clearly,

yet have no vision.

They are all

more blind than Asiya.
OneLove
::::MME:::: 

The War You Don't See

  Get the book here Excellent interview with Chris Hedges: