May 3, 2019

Poet's Nook:"among the multitudes" by Wislawa Szymborska

Image result for mystery of existence

I am who I am.
A coincidence no less unthinkable
than any other. 
I could have different 
ancestors, after all. 
I could have fluttered 
from another nest 
or crawled bescaled 
from another tree. 

Nature's wardrobe 
holds a fair 
supply of costumes: 
Spider, seagull, fieldmouse. 
each fits perfectly right off 
and is dutifully worn 
into shreds. 

I didn't get a choice either, 
but I can't complain. 
I could have been someone 
much less separate. 
someone from an anthill, shoal, or buzzing swarm, 
an inch of landscape ruffled by the wind. 

Someone much less fortunate, 
bred for my fur 
or Christmas dinner, 
something swimming under a square of glass. 

A tree rooted to the ground 
as the fire draws near. 

A grass blade trampled by a stampede 
of incomprehensible events. 

A shady type whose darkness 
dazzled some. 
What if I'd prompted only fear, 
Loathing, 
or pity? 

If I'd been born 
in the wrong tribe 
with all roads closed before me? 

Fate has been kind 
to me thus far. 

I might never have been given 
the memory of happy moments 

My yen for comparison 
might have been taken away. 

I might have been myself minus amazement, 
that is, someone completely different.

                                                                   ********


(From Poems, New and Collected )

No comments:

Post a Comment

The War You Don't See

  Get the book here Excellent interview with Chris Hedges: