Apr 14, 2020

To Change the World, Change Your Illusions

Minna Salami (Author of The Power Book)

/
.
In this TEDtalk, Minna Salami shares images of women from around the world, highlighting how out of touch the stereotypes are from reality. She tells powerful stories of her diverse grandmothers whose lives have shaped hers and of how images of African women in the West do not represent the experiences of her own friends and family. And how, very simply, African women like the same things as women everywhere.

Minna Salami writes, speaks and advocates on a broad range of Africa, Diaspora and feminist issues. She writes the award-winning African feminist blog, MsAfropolitan.

I am just discovering this beautiful, blazing soul & look forward to reading her books & essays on her site. Her latest, Sensuous Knowledge: A Black Feminist Approach for Everyone , sounds like an enlightening, deep, illusion-busting must-read much in line with bell hook's essential "Feminism Is For Everyone: Passionate Politics" which I really liked.

I am proud to say that reading books on feminism/feminist politics has made me a better person. No longer do I by default gaze at women one-dimensionally & when I do slip from time to time, I hear Alice Walker, bell hooks, Toni Morrison & Adrienne Rich. Soon I will hear Minna in my ear with "Ok, enough....".  Fellas, we got work to do.....

Technocapitalism: Bitcoin, Mars, and Dystopia w/Loretta Napoleoni

  We are living through an incipient technological revolution. AI, blockchain, cryptocurrencies, commercial space travel, and other i...